In case you don’t have elementary aged children, or in my case, a 3 year old grandson, you might not know that this week is Fire Prevention Week. Why talk about it on my blog? Well, it’s a good reminder to check your house for fire safety!
Fire Safety Checklist (Disclaimer – I am NOT a firefighter or fire expert – just some friendly suggestions to keep you and your family safe!)
- It’s a good idea to test your smoke alarm batteries every 6 months…why not this week? Write a reminder on your 2014 calendar to check again in early April, or set a reminder on your phone/email!
- Test/check your kitchen fire extinguisher and make sure it has a home in your kitchen that is easily accessible and EVERYONE in your family knows its location!
- Make sure all hallways and doorways are ALWAYS clutter free. It is terrifying to read in the newspaper about people dying in a fire because their house was too cluttered to allow them to escape.
- Make a fire escape plan with your family members – even if you all are adults! You should know where you will meet outside away from any danger if there ever was a fire.
- Have piles of paper? Recycle these fire hazards!
- Teach young children how to call emergency services and make sure phones are at an accessible level.
And of course, stay safe!